Monday, November 4, 2013

Quit Lying, You Worry

 In every life we have some trouble But when you worry you make it double Don't worry, be happy Don't worry, be happy now.[1] So goes the song that was released in 1988. How many times has someone said that to you? “Oh, it will be okay, everything will work out, just you wait and see.” Ever had anyone say that to you? I bet you have, just as I have; hundreds of times.

Can you believe I have actually heard some Christians say that worry is a sin? Because Jesus said not to worry about things, they think if you worry then you are sinning. You tell me how not to worry and while you are at it tell me how to forget some things. I guess if worry is a sin then I don’t worry; I just get concerned about things. Lying is a sin. Remember; what we know, God knows. You can’t tell me that you never have, or never do, worry. It comes natural to us, just like fear does. A person gets a result from the MRI and the docs say, “It’s cancer.” I don’t care how much faith you have or how much trust you have in Christ; your mind automatically thinks two things; am I going to die and will I suffer. A person tries to get in touch with a family member in a city that has been hit by a tornado and cannot get through and has not heard from them; they worry.
Before we can ever learn to depend on God we have first got to accept our own weaknesses. Worry is one of them. The more we try not to worry, the more we do! Jesus knows what worry is; and what it is not. Worry is not rebellion against Him. The problem with worry is that it can overtake our thought process. The issue over which we worry can become the main focus of our entire life. Did you know that statistics indicate that ninety percent of the things we worry about never come to pass? Would you permit me to comment on that statistic Scripturally? And we know that all that happens to us is working for our good if we love God and are fitting into his plans.[2] It is not the ninety percent that we worry about; it is the other ten that gets our attention.
You are going to worry, face it. You are not sinning when you do. Only when we begin to think that God is not in control can we slip into the shadow of doubt; which would make us a fatalist, someone who thinks that things happen without any control. No, my friend, God is in control. Jesus said “do not worry about tomorrow” (because I already have it planned for you).[3]

 



[1] Bobby McFerrin, Copyright: Almo Music Corp.,
[2] Romans 8:28, The Living Bible.
[3] Quote in parenthesis are mine and not Scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment