Monday, November 11, 2013

A Veteran's Story . . . . The Rock

Fort Leonard Wood Missouri; we called it “Fort Lost in the Woods.” It was a hundred miles from civilization in that day it seemed. While there in Basic Training I was standing outside the orientation depot where new troops were given shots and haircuts. Our Drill Sargent told us to rest and relax until we were called. I leaned up against the wall trying to stay warm as it was in the middle of January so I put my hands in my pockets. A First Sargent came walking up the sidewalk, stopped in front of me and began looking around the ground as though he had lost something. He found a rock in the edge of a hedge, picked it up, and pulled my hand out of my pocket and put the rock in it without saying a word. Then he said in that military tone; “Now see if that hand will fit in that pocket troop!” I tried it; “No First Sargent, it won’t.” About that time my Drill Sargent came out of the building; “Got a problem here?” He asked the First Sargent. The First Sargent said, “We did, but it’s solved.” My Sargent thanked him and he went on up the sidewalk. As my turn came to go in my Sargent stopped me; “You are not taking that dirty rock into my building,” he said, so I laid it down. “Oh no, troop. Don’t let me catch you without that rock. Take it around back and wash it. You will find a hose and trash can brushes there. Then come back in the building.” We went to the mess hall later in the day and while sitting there eating my meal my Sargent yelled out; “INGO! WHERE’S MY ROCK?” I had to stand up, show it to him (in front of all 300 guys in there) and say, “GOT IT SARGENT!” That evening when it was time for lights out, I laid the rock beside my bunk. He came in about an hour after I was asleep, tapped me on the shoulder and shined his flashlight in my face; “Where’s my rock?” I showed him. He said, “It may get cold, put it in the bed.” That went on for three days.

Now I know this is not much of a “war story” but I wanted you to know that every Veteran has a story; many are not as funny as this one. This one was not funny to me as it happened. I went on to train as a combat medic and learned many lessons and have more stories, but I never forgot “the rock.” If you have a chance today find a Veteran and thank them. Many will not share any stories and some will. If they are willing to tell you something; listen: listen close.
I don’t know what your opinions on war are and thank God I was never in one,  but regardless of what you think about it, don’t hold a Veteran responsible. God uses people in different ways to accomplish different things. He understands Veterans; many of them died and were wounded to protect our freedom. Jesus knows all about sacrifice but He was not accidentally killed; He died on purpose. He gave His life that we may inherit eternal life; and that is the ultimate freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment