Monday, June 10, 2013

What is Spiritual Discernment?


I took my daughter to a music store the other day to get her some stuff. I call it stuff because I am musical illiterate and don’t know a B flat from a flat B.  She is gifted and reads music and plays a variety of instruments. She and the clerk got into a big discussion about something having to do with a song and they were talking about notes and chords and keys and things. He looked at me and said, “I take it you are not a musician?” Apparently he noticed the deer in the headlights look on my face.
Although they were speaking English it still sounded foreign to me and I think that is similar to what the Apostle Paul was trying to get across in his letter to the church at Corinth. He had been there years earlier and stayed for about a year and a half preaching Christ to them. After he departed some people began to doubt some of the things he had told them and questions began to arise about this new doctrine of “saved by grace.” After moving on to Ephesus and hearing of their issues, he wrote them a letter explaining what he had told them earlier and telling them the problems with the doctrine were coming from those who were unbelievers and thereby causing doubt for the believers. He said this to them; [i]A person who isn’t spiritual doesn’t accept the teachings of God’s Spirit. He thinks they’re nonsense. He can’t understand them because a person must be spiritual to evaluate them.
You and I live in an unbelieving society that has no idea what saved by grace means. The majority live their lives not thinking about life after death or hoping for the best in the end. The Gospel is a foreign language to them. Before sharing Scripture with them tell them how you came to understand it first. They have more than likely heard of Jesus but until they come to know Him His words will make no sense to them.
 

[i] 1 Corinthians 2:14 (Gods Word Translation, GW).

No comments:

Post a Comment