Thursday, November 6, 2014

Religion and Politics

Never discuss politics and religion I have heard. So have you. The reason of course is that more often than not expressing our views on both subjects usually arouses arguments; unless you are discussing both subjects with someone that agrees with your views on either of them. I appreciate the differences in people. In saying that I am not condoning the behaviors or opinions that people have or do that is in opposition to the Bible. Jesus told the Pharisees that if you only show kindness and love to those who love you, then you are no better than tax collectors. The tax collectors of course being the people that the Jews considered traders and hated them for helping the Roman government.

God created mankind with the ability to choose what we think. On the one hand it is a curse and yet on the other it is a blessing. Right thinking will lead to right behavior and wrong thinking usually leads to wrong behavior. If you think you can fly and jump off a cliff without a parachute you would realize you were wrong in your thinking. When I observe or hear how people think in regards to religion or politics I respect their God given ability to think as they do. I also have that same ability and think differently than they do sometimes. When they do not think the same way I do it is easy to view them as tax collectors.  Just as with the example of someone jumping off a cliff, their thinking may lead them into disaster unless they consider why someone else thinks you will need a parachute.

I am often asked if I am a Republican or a Democrat and I always answer that I am neither. The Bible teaches that, [1]“But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.” Our political party system does not have a “holy nation party” so therefore I say that I am a Christian, one of His own special people. The Bible clearly teaches that Christians are to acknowledge politics and government. [2]“Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.” What does that mean? It means that those who are in office were allowed to be in office by God, even if they were elected. I may have not voted for the man or woman that was elected but it is my duty to pray for them; [3]“And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth.”

Did you catch that? “Patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness.” I am not afraid to discuss religion or politics with anyone. If it leads to a conflict of opinions then that is okay; the other person is loved as much by God as I am. They may be ready to jump off a cliff without a parachute so I have a duty to suggest they consider their actions, but I should not jump off the cliff too and argue with them on the way down.



[1] 1 Peter 2:9
[2] Romans 13:1
[3] 2 Timothy 2: 24,25

No comments:

Post a Comment