Monday, September 22, 2014

Christian Runts

Growing up I was a runt. If you know me now it would be hard for you to believe that. Skinny as a fence rail I was. I could have stood under a clothesline in the rain and not gotten wet. When the gang would choose sides for our backyard football games I would have been chosen last every time had it not been for a neighborhood girl who was as rough as any of us were, and loved to play football too. I was chosen to make the teams even not for any athletic ability I had. Occasionally I would come up with a big play and that was all that saved me from not being picked at all. I was not a total liability so therefore there was some worth in having me on the team. Big Sam was one of my best friends. He was about 2 years older than we were and was always a team captain and he would pick me to be on his team about every time. Big Sam never considered my athletic ability when choosing, he just liked me. Eventually we all grew into adulthood and no longer played backyard football together. As adults we remain friends even to this day, those of us who are still alive that is. Several have gone on down the river.

Our society is a society of choosers. We choose to like or dislike people based upon different criteria. Nowhere else in society is that more of an issue than in Christian-dom. Those who have come to Christ and have forgotten from whence they came are quick to discount non-believers. Even new converts have a hard time fitting in or being picked for the right team sometimes. “Well, you’ll learn” they are sometimes told by seasoned Christians. They learn alright. They learn that they don’t want to be like most seasoned Christians! Especially those who are pious enough to think that because they attend a certain church, or hold down a certain position, or teach, preach, or pastor; that they are somehow closer to God than the Christian “runts.” Their degrees or the circles in which they network has set them above the average church goer. It is as if they almost seem to have a “pedigree in Christianity” because of family connections or belonging to a certain denomination. The Bible teaches; Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God, in chapter 15 of the Book of Romans.
 
As Christ accepted you! He chose you (and me) while we were runts. He died on the Cross for us while we were yet sinners. He never chose us for our “Christian ability” or connections. He never chose us because we could be of any benefit to Him. He chose us because like Big Sam; He likes us. He likes us a bunch. If He so chose us, should we not so choose others?

Lord, help me to never forget where you found me. Help me never to think of myself as any more educated, any more liked, any more talented, or any better than any of the rest of the people You created in Your image. Just remind me that I once was lost but now I’m saved.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment