Monday, October 14, 2013

Tattle Tales

I was ten years old and we were out of school for the summer. We lived about half a mile from the New River and most of us boys spent our days running all over town playing fox and dog and once in a while we would slip off down to the river. I came home for supper one evening and was met on the back porch by mom. “Where have you been?” She asked. “Out playing, down on branch road,” I lied. “A little bird told me you were down at the river! I told you not to go down there until your dad gets home.” I then blew it big time; “I will get my air rifle and put an end to that d - - n bird!” (I have not always been a preacher). I not only got whipped by her for slipping off, it was doubled when dad came home for using the “d” word.

Rats and tattle tales have never been held in high esteem. Whistle blowers are the new name for them. Although I did not like to be told on, sometimes it was for my own good. Mom did not want me to drown that’s why she did not let me go to the river alone. Sometimes being told on can bring us to repentance; especially after a double whooping. I am not the first to get upset about being ratted out. [1]King David was very upset when Nathan spilled the beans on him. God knew what David thought was hid and had put behind him. It was his little dirty secret. It would have remained hidden had God not revealed it to Nathan and therefore to us by way of the Scriptures. God could have dealt with David in secret; after all he was God’s anointed. One would think God would be embarrassed to reveal such a thing about His chosen king. God told on David so we would know He sees all things, past and present. We may hide things from mom and dad, our spouse or children, even our pastor; but we cannot “slip off” from God.
Take heart though! Being found out can lead to changes; good changes. [2]David repented and God forgave him. I got whipped, twice, and repented. I watched my words from then on and never slipped off again. Obviously my parent’s forgave me and God did too. Know this, [3]If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If you are hiding something the Holy Spirit will tell on you. Come clean, take your whipping, repent and move on.



[1] 2 Samuel 12
[2] Psalm 51
[3] 1 John 1:8 New International Version, (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment