Monday, October 21, 2013

Choosing a Mask for Church

Hannah and I went to the local dollar store the other evening to pick up a few things and as we entered the store and started up an aisle there were two ladies, possibly a mother and daughter, searching through the Halloween costumes. The younger had a mask on and asked the other how it looked. We smiled as we walked past them and went to get our stuff. When we headed to the register we came back down the aisle opposite them so as not to bother them in their quest. Just as we were passing by we heard one of them say, “I have got to find something to wear to church.” Mine and Hannah’s eyes met and we both clinched our teeth so as not to just laugh out loud. After leaving the store and walking across the parking lot Hannah said, “I did not see that coming!” To which I replied, “Wonder what kind of church she attends?” Of course we both laughed knowing that apparently the lady was not referring to buying a mask for church . . . . maybe.

We do wear masks to church though sometimes, don’t we? I have. I have gone in church with a big smile on my face to mask a sad countenance or perhaps worry in my heart. No use in spoiling someone else’s day just because things are not hunky-dory in my life, right? I think we somehow justify hiding our true feelings when in church with that excuse; I don’t want to bother anyone else with my troubles. Or could it be that we are ashamed to let others know we have problems? [1]I have been checked in my spirit several times by the Holy Spirit in regards to letting my pride hamper me from being totally honest at times always justifying it by telling myself that they don’t want to know their pastor has problems. How would that reflect on my faith? A pastor, with worries, fears, or sadness would not be a good example to his or her flock; or would we?
It is so sad that we feel that we cannot be honest with each other about our feelings, especially in church. We are so afraid of being judged, and rightly so, if we were to tell people how we really feel or what is really going on. It is sad that we cannot trust our brothers and sisters in Christ to [2]“Weep with those who weep” rather than judge us for being weak in our faith because we are suffering. We pray for people with physical problems all the time, don’t we? Why are we so reluctant to share our emotional pain in the same way? It should not be that way. [3]Jesus never judged anyone that came to Him because of their problems. He never raised His eyebrows, rolled His eyes, smirked, or let out a big sigh when someone came to Him hurting; did He? May we learn to accept people for who they are, warts and all, just as He does. Our mission statement at Draper Valley is, “A place where lives are changed, hurts are healed, and hope restored by the power of Almighty God.” May the Lord help us to live up to it!



[1] 1 John 3:20
[2] Romans 12:5
[3] John 8:11

No comments:

Post a Comment