Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Falling In The Creek!

Well I had the opportunity to get away with my cousin, more like a blood brother, the other day and go trout fishing. We went to a local creek nearby. We have fished this creek only once or twice this year because the rain has kept it deep and muddy most of the summer. Getting ready to go as I loaded my fly rod and vest I opted for my hip waders and not chest waders thinking that the creek level was now low. I also looked at my wading staff (a hoe handle with a rope in it I keep tied to me) to help me balance on the rocky creek bottom and decided that I did not need it either. I now understand the proverb my mom used to quote to me; “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” she would say.

As we were making our way back up the creek we caught a couple of small trout. He and I enjoy being out there and catching a fish is just a bonus for us. After rocking and reeling to keep my balance in the creek I was missing my wading staff. I was casting my fly when over my head behind me it caught in a tree limb just above me. Making my way toward it trying to reach the limb with one hand and hold my rod with the other I knew it was risky. Being careful to keep my feet on solid bottom and off the rocks was a challenge. I got it however and felt somewhat confident in my wading abilities. Then as we were almost back to the truck he walked ahead of me up onto a little footbridge across the creek. I decided to try one more spot and stepped off the bank into the knee deep water and, SPLOOSH! I slid into that creek like Derek Jeter slides into second base! My entire right side was submerged! That cold creek water filled my right boot and soaked my favorite fishing shirt. I managed to hold onto my fly rod however and was able to stand up. My cousin was looking the other way and did not see it happen! I thought, now if I can get out and dry off real quick maybe he will never know I fell. Yeah, right.
What is it that causes us to be overconfident in our abilities? Why didn’t I wear my chest waders? Why didn’t I take my wading staff? What was I thinking!? I was thinking I could control the creek. I could overcome the slippery rocks. I think God allows us to experience things sometimes for a reality check. We can become overconfident in our own abilities to handle certain things. Prayer is like my wading staff. I need to do it more often in this “slippery” world to prevent more falls. I guess that is what Paul meant when he wrote, [i]“Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.”
When I got back home my wife asked how we did. I told her we caught a couple and had a good time. When I told her about falling in the creek she laughed and was not surprised. I told her it was only fitting though since it was the “fall” season.



[i] 1 Corinthians 10:12 New King James Version, NKJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment