Monday, July 1, 2013

A Declaration Of Independence


Galatians 5: 1 (New King James Version, NKJV).
Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
While in England many years ago my wife and I had lunch at a little cafe on Bentwaters Royal Air Force Base where my brother was stationed. They had British civilian waitresses working it. It was on the Fourth of July and there was a little carnival set up on the base just across the field. The waitresses were wearing “Uncle Sam” top hats decorated with stars and stripes. As one came over to us I asked her, “What do you think about all this celebration on the base here?” She simply said, “It’s a slap in the face it is!”
I thank God for our independence here in America. I am as big a Patriot as you will find. I come from a long line of military men. My dad and six of his brothers were all in World War II at the same time. I served in the Army as well. My brother retired from the Air Force. My son is serving in Kuwait with the Army today. We are proud to be Americans. For the life of me though I cannot imagine our forefathers intending our independence to be independent from God. They wanted freedom from religion and God led them to pursue it. We all need freedom from religion but we need dependence upon Christ.
Gods intent for mankind is to be free from religion but not from Him. The Apostle Paul referred to himself as a “slave to Christ.” Religion is of man but Christianity is of God. Religion brings bondage, Christianity gives freedom; free from religion. Jesus came that we may be set free from sin and eternal death. Salvation cannot be earned but is a free gift offered to us. The Cross is the true Statue of Liberty.
Why not pledge your allegiance to Christ today and declare your independence from sin?

No comments:

Post a Comment