Monday, May 14, 2012

Life: A deep creek with strong currents.


Psalm 37 (New Century Version)

23 When people's steps follow the Lord, God is pleased with their ways. 24 If they stumble, they will not fall, because the Lord holds their hand.

A thought came to me the other day while fishing. I was wading and was crossing the creek in a swift current to go around a deep hole. I have a staff I use because of my clumsiness and even with it the current was pushing so hard against my legs that I could only take one step at the time and place my foot very carefully between the slippery rocks. After making it to shallow water I let my staff go as I have it connected to me by a cord, and it floated along side while I fished. Then it came to me; that is what God meant when He said in this Psalm, “If you follow Me you might stumble, but you will not fall.”

Life is like that creek sometimes. The current pushes hard against us as we try to navigate our way across the rough times to the calmer times. The Lord is like my wading staff. I knew I would get across the stream so I took my time and prodded along. Pushing my staff ahead of me into the water to test the depth and then putting my weight on it to uphold my next step. Slowly but surely I made it over safely.

The key to walking through the hard times of life without falling is to follow the Lord Jesus. He is already at where we are going. He is not standing on the other side just motioning to us and instructing us in our journey to follow Him. That would be a very impersonal god. No, He has hold of our hand in this life and upholds us as we walk toward Him.

How about you today? In the middle of a deep creek with a strong current trying to wash your legs out from under you? Stop where you are, call upon Christ and take His hand when He extends it to you. When you reach the safety of the shallow water don’t let go but keep Him connected to you; always with you. Because before you get out of this creek of life you will wade into some more deep spots and strong currents.

No comments:

Post a Comment