Monday, May 21, 2012

Got A Minute?


Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD!   (Psalm 27:14 NKJV)

What are they ordering? I sat in line at the local burger joint, having an appointment pending, as the person two cars ahead of me was talking to the little black box. Don’t they realize there are those of us in line that need to be places? Don’t they know that you should not place ten orders at the drive through? I yelled out the window, “Hey! Go inside if you are ordering for an army!” Well, no, I really didn’t do that but I wanted to. Ever been there?

Waiting is something we have been trained not to do. Microwaves and internet phones have caused us to get used to 4G speed. Seventy mile per hour speed limits seem to slow. TV commercials change scenes every 3.1 seconds. Cable news covers world events every ten minutes.

Christianity has not escaped the hurry up mode. It seems that two hour long church services are for those who don’t have a life. We have come to expect what we want in a matter of minutes. Want it, need it, get it; now. God is not into speed; He exists eternally. He does not measure time; there are no limitations in eternity. His methods reflect His character; everlasting to everlasting. Jesus told us that God knows what we need and will supply it. He did not say immediately. There is strength to be found in waiting. Imagine that. I forfeit courage and strength every time I refuse to wait upon God to answer my prayers. I ask, and then act if He does not jump at my beckon call. God is not in a hurry; I am. I measure time in seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, and years. I waited 32 years before I submitted my life to Christ. 32 years; if God had been in a hurry for me to get saved He would have given up long before then. He waited on me, now I need to learn to wait on Him. I need to be patient in worship. I need to be patient in prayer. Help me Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment