Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sick With Pride

I sit writing this message after coming home from the doctor. That is why there was not an Encouragement from me yesterday. I have been praying and petitioning God to rid me of this “gunk” that has set itself up somewhere in my body; which gives it plenty of room to hide. After having me tested by his lab techs this morning, my doc diagnosed me with swine flu. “You have got to be kidding doc, I can’t have the swine flu!” He asks, “Why not?” “Well, because I, I, I just can’t, that’s why!” He gave me some meds, a prescription, and a warning: Stay home the rest of this week or risk pneumonia! Driving up the road I had a few questions for God. I mean, hey, this week I have people to see, sermons to preach, people to counsel, a funeral to officiate, studying to do, a nursing home and hospitals to visit; why would Jesus let me get sick seeing I have all that stuff to do for Him? God was not quick to answer but when He did, this is what came to mind: *I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Could it be possible that my statement to my doctor, “I can’t have the swine flu,” could have revealed pride? Ouch! That is what it’s called though, human pride. After all, I am doing all this stuff for Him, right? Wrong. He uses me to do things for Him; it is not by my might or by my power that I do any of these things. As for all that work “I” had to do; another minister is preaching for me, the outreach minister is visiting the hospitals and nursing home for me, another pastor is going to do the funeral, and the counseling appointment has been rescheduled. That leaves me with only the studying to do; which I can do in bed. I got Your point Lord.

Father God, I am not giving you thanks for this illness but I am giving you thanks it is not unto death! Thanks for reminding me that I am just the servant and that You are God! Thank You Jesus as I ask in the authority of Your name! Amen!

In Christ: Br Mike <>< (brmike@ntelos.net)



*The New King James Version. 1982 (Php 4:13). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment