Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Flag Issue: More Discord.

Conflict after conflict. It seems that each week brings with it some serious issue affecting the social stabilization of our society. Ringo Star just celebrated his 75th Birthday yesterday (July 7). His message to the world at high noon, the time of his birth was, "Peace and Love." I remember the conflict he and his cohorts brought to the nation in 1964. I like his message though, don't you?

Why is peace so hard to have in societies? James, the half brother of Jesus said it is because of what we want (as individuals or nations) and cannot have because it belongs to someone else. Therefore we fight them for it, or they fight us for it (James 4). I would surmise that peace has to start within an individual before it can come about in a relationship with others. Differences of opinion do not necessarily constitute a seedbed for discord. Jesus never agreed with His disciples on many issues but He never forced them to accept His teachings but loved them enough so that they would accept Him and then His teachings would make more sense to them. Love and then Peace.

The latest issue with the Confederate Flag is causing discord. Let me say that as a southern born and southern resident, I was born into One Nation under God. Had I been born into the south when it was divided from the north, I may have had a different opinion about that flag. I know that perhaps some of my great granddaddies or ancestors could have been born under it, or maybe not, but that does not make me a confederate. I live in the south and am proud to, but I am an American, just as those who live in the North, East, South, and West are. I understand the history associated with the flag and whether we like to talk about that history or not, it stands as another example of people wanting what they want and willing to kill to get it as Saint James says.

I like what the Apostle Paul wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit; "So don’t be a stumbling block to anyone, whether they are Jews or Gentiles or Christians.  That is the plan I follow, too. I try to please everyone in everything I do, not doing what I like or what is best for me but what is best for them, so that they may be saved (1 Corinthians 10:32,33 The Living Bible).

Paul also gave the definition of love to that same church with the words, "Put others before yourself." If we all did that then peace would come naturally but we all know that we are imperfect humans and even if we tried to love each other that way our nature would prevent it. That is why it is so important that we have Jesus in our hearts so that we can let Him love people the way He wants and does not leave it up to us. With Christ in our hearts we can agree to disagree on many issues without holding grudges against those who disagree with us so that unbelievers can see the love and peace we have in our hearts and perhaps they may be motivated to seek Christ as well so as Paul wrote, "So that they may be saved."

No comments:

Post a Comment