Monday, December 29, 2014

2014 or 2015, Does it Really Matter?

Another year is almost history. I sat contemplating what 2014 was like for me. What went right, what went wrong, what I should have done differently. Wondering If I could turn back the calendar to specific days or times and redo things would it have made a difference?  Had I did this or that or said this or that would it have made a noticeable difference in how things are now. I am sure in some instances it would have and yet in others I have totally forgotten what I did or said! So goes life. I look at the calendar and see that there are three days (counting what is left of this one) before I have to change calendars. I envision that starting a new calendar somehow ends one year and starts another one. In reality the days are no different it is only how we count them. We stop counting the days of 2014 and then with the flip of a page we start counting the days 2015. Therefore it is all about keeping count is it not? Let’s be honest and say that our calendars serve the purpose of planning. Days that have numbers assigned to them make it easy to plan things. About now, if you are still reading, you are probably thinking I am a doofus head, think about stuff too much, and have somehow become crazy in my learning. “Everyone is entitled to their own opinion” as Briscoe Darlin told Andy Taylor. The thing is people have always counted days.

I think it has to do with this: Teach us to number our days and recognize how few they are; help us to spend them as we should.[1] Looking ahead to the numbered days of 2015 causes me to wonder what will happen on day 14 in May? Have I planned anything for that day yet? What about day 28 in October? Or how about day 3 in January? In reality I should be thinking Lord will you allow me to see those days. Today, day 29 of December in the year 2014 is actually the only day that really matters now. Day 28 is past, day 30 has not arrived. I think God is telling us to take hold of the present day and live in it. Make the most of the minutes and hours we have allotted to us in this day. If you read this entire message you probably have spent about 5 minutes of it already; I hope it was not a waste of time for you. As we see the days of 2014 coming to an end and the days of 2015 lying in wait for us, let’s take a few minutes to come to grips with reality as God tells us to do and recognize how few they really are in comparison to eternity. Where will we be a thousand years from now? In heaven or hell? That is what really matters in regards to time. Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.[2]



[1] Psalm 90:12 The Living Bible (TLB)
[2] 2 Corinthians 6:7 New King James Version (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment