Tuesday, April 1, 2014

When Blessings become a curse.

The danger of being blessed!

Deuteronomy 31:20 New Living Translation (NLT)

For I will bring them into the land I swore to give their ancestors—a land flowing with milk and honey. There they will become prosperous, eat all the food they want, and become fat. But they will begin to worship other gods; they will despise me and break my covenant. 

The majority of us cannot imagine what it is not to be blessed. If you are reading this, you are blessed. Not just because you can read but the fact that you can see or not lying flat on your back in a hospital bed. Many cannot read, cannot see, and are lying in hospitals at this very moment. Chances are, you are not hungry (unless you are purposely fasting) and have clothes to wear, somewhere to live, and have people who love and care about you. Blessings: call them what you want but that is what they are; simple, everyday things that the majority of us take for granted as God gives us our daily bread and protection.
Be careful though. It blows my mind that even before the Israelites were brought into the land flowing with milk and honey God knew what they would do. He knows human nature. He knows how that when we are physically satisfied we begin to think we are in His favor and if we are not careful we can therefore “worship our blessings” and forget that every heartbeat belongs to Him.
Listen children, I am not preaching to you; the Holy Spirit is preaching to me and you are just reading my mail! I am putting on this modern day parchment that which He is telling me in my heart. If you learn something from it, that is another blessing!
Healthy and prosperous is not always a sign that we are in Gods favor. If you are both today be careful not to forget that all that is physical is temporary; only our soul will live forever. As Dr. Billy Graham once said, “I never saw a U-Haul being pulled by a hearse to a cemetery.”

No comments:

Post a Comment