Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Free or Not?

So if the Son makes you free, you will be truly free. [John 8:36 NCV]

Last Sunday, Casey Anthony became a free woman. She had been detained in jail until a jury agreed that she was not guilty of the murder charge against her and voted to acquit her. The judge agreed with the jury’s decision and released her based on time served for the other charges. Some feel she was guilty and others feel she was not but when it came time to convict or acquit, she was acquitted by the justice system. The system we have in place to make decisions like that.

There is another side to her story, a side that was not presented in court or in the news media. A part of her life that investigators never questioned her about that I know of. They never asked her if she believed in Jesus or not as far as I know. Someone off the camera or off the record may have witnessed to her or prayed with her, who knows. If she has never asked Christ to save her, forgiving her of her sins, she is still not free. She may not be behind prison bars or in the confines of a jail cell, but she is still in bondage. She may not even realize it as millions of people never do. They feel they are not in bondage to anyone as the Pharisees told Jesus. Spiritual bondage is deceptive. One can be held in sin never realizing the hold it has on them. I never realized it. I was in bondage under sin for over thirty years and the entire time never knowing it. I thought I could change anytime I wanted to, perhaps in my final hours. It was not until I came to know Jesus just how deceived I had been. I finally came to my senses as the prodigal did in the pig pen and came to the Father for forgiveness, and the Blood of Christ freed me! I hope Casey understands that freedom is not being out of jail, but being justified by the Blood of Christ. Having all charges dropped against us by His work on the Cross! How about you? You may be in jail or on the street but if you have never allowed Christ to set you free from sin; you are still in bondage. Allow the Son to set you free; and be truly free!

No comments:

Post a Comment