Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tell Them Anyway.

Some were convinced by what he said, but others would not believe. (Acts 28:24 NKJV)

My wife and I were in a fast food joint when our twins were about three years old. She was keeping them corralled why I was heading to the counter to order. “You guys sit here and be good, I will be right back with your stuff,” I told them. An older gent was seated right behind us. As I passed by he said, “Son, you know you are telling those boys to do something they are not going to do,” and he laughed. “I know,” I said, “But I want them to hear it anyway!”

Sometimes I can hear his words still echoing in the far back of my mind when I come out of the pulpit. The first sermon I ever preached I expected the people to run to the altar and cry out to God saying, “O Lord, please forgive us and save us!” It never happened though. If there is any discouragement in preaching or witnessing it is the same as Paul faced in Rome. Although many never believed him, he never let that discourage him. We can learn from his experience. We witness, preach, and testify for those who will be convinced by our message and respond to it. As for the rest of them, well, they need to hear it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment