Monday, August 9, 2010

Deliberate Ignorance

5 They argued about this, saying, "If we answer, 'John's baptism was from God,' Jesus will say, 'Then why did you not believe him? (Luke 20:5, ESV)

Entire Chapter: www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+20&version=NCV


A preacher noticed a man sitting in the back with his fingers in his ears during his sermon. After church the preacher asked the man, “Why did you put your fingers in your ears while I was preaching?” The fellow replied, “I did not want to hear if I had committed sin or not, then I won’t be guilty!”

We may fool ourselves but we can never fool God. James said in his letter that we fool ourselves when we know what the Bible says yet we act as though we do not, (James 1:22). Mark Twain said, “It is not the parts of the Bible that I cannot understand that bother me; it is the parts that I can understand.” The men that day that asked Jesus who gave Him the authority to do and say all these things He was teaching and doing were “called on the carpet” by a simple question: Where do you think I get this authority? They knew it had to be from God but they did not want to admit it because they did not want to come under Jesus’ authority.

I realize there are those who may not know they need forgiveness of sin. I also know there are those who do not think about it, hoping their denial of the fact will somehow excuse them from judgment. Like the guy with his fingers in his ears.

Got sin? Then repent; admit it to God, ask Him to forgive you, and allow Christ to save you because deliberate ignorance is inexcusable by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment