Monday, October 5, 2009

Effective Witnessing

I went to purchase some deodorant the other day and was surprised to find that the brand I have been using for a hundred years had changed. It took me several minutes to find it because they had changed the graphics on the label. Same stuff it says but now with a different look. I mean, come on, its deodorant. It either stops sweat or makes it smell good so why improve the look of the package? Save money by using a simple label and charge less for it so more people will buy it, right? Not this day and age. It has to be packaged to keep up with the competition on the shelves.

I think that may have been the issue the Apostle Paul was dealing with when he told the Roman citizens in his letter; *“Jesus is the only One who can save people. No one else in the world is able to save us.” It seems to me that this statement is not really impressing people today. Perhaps we could package it different for them somehow that would impress them. Maybe we could send a tweet on Twitter like, “JC saves; no One else can.” Or we could post on Facebook, “Jesus will be in Heaven today; the only One who can save us.” Then again maybe we could publish an image of Him on a skateboard flying through the air holding a high energy drink in one hand with the caption, “The only One that saves!” Even with these I am sure many would still not be impressed. Why? Because many of them have no idea what they need to be saved from. We have tried to package the “Product” without first doing some market research. Old guys like me use my deodorant; young dudes use the high powered, active life, athletic formula in a package with soccer balls and lightening bolts. Both stop sweat or make it smell better. Here is the bottom line: It saves us from stinking in public.

That is all we need to tell people today. We could send a tweet like; “Hell is real; want to go? Then get saved.” Or a poster with a guy on a skateboard on fire, nothing to drink and a horrible look on his face with the caption; “Get saved or burn forever.” Who knows, that may cause them to ask, “How do I get saved from that?” Then we could say, “Just ask Jesus, He will do it!”

Father God, help me to be a more effective witness. Jesus, thank You for saving me from hell and help me to warn others. Thanks Jesus for taking me before the Father right now! Amen.

In Christ: Br Mike <><

* The Everyday Bible : New Century Version. 2005 (Acts 4:12). Nashville, TN.: Thomas Nelson, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment